Thursday, March 09, 2006

Kurt Tucholsky in Harper's Magazine

A recent editorial "The Case for Impeachment" in Harper's Magazine, written by Lewis H. Lapham quotes in the beginning Kurt Tucholsky:

A country is not only what it does - it is also what it puts up with, what it tolerates.

I've located the original of this:
Aber ein Land ist nicht nur das, was es tut – es ist auch das, was es verträgt, was es duldet.

The passage originates from a letter by Kurt Tucholsky to the German-Jewish author Arnold Zweig. I don't think the translation can be improved upon.

For those who can read German, the entire letter is posted at the Sudelblog.

I apoligize for the long silence here. I've been busy with a longer translation, which will soon be ready to post.

8 Comments:

Blogger * said...

hiya Indie...I am back in the internetworld, and stopped fighting distraction.
This is a very important & great letter. It must be a hell of a job to do all these translations and you re doing a great job in it. There is not much Tucholsky translated into english, is there?

5:44 AM  
Blogger Indeterminacy said...

Thanks for the comment, Antonia. Actually a good portion of his work has been translated into English, but these books are all out of print, though still under copyright. That pretty much keeps Tucholsky out of the English language blogosphere. I hope he becomes better known through my translations. A quick search in Bibliofind.com will show you that there are books to be had.

5:47 AM  
Blogger * said...

aah the copyrightthingy...
shall I help you with the translations? Have some native knowledge of the foul demon language german....

2:27 AM  
Blogger Indeterminacy said...

I can send you things to proofread, if you like. Don't know how enthusiastic you are about doing entire translations. Do you have any favorite Tucholsky texts you think should be done? The one about how the holes got into the Swiss cheese, or advice for a good/bad speaker are great, though not necessarily political. We can d iscuss this via e-mail.

9:53 AM  
Blogger This Meridian Heat said...

Thank you, thank. This very valuable work. I can help this summer (2012) if you need.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can send you things to proofread, if you like. Don't know how enthusiastic you are about doing entire translations. Do you have any favorite Tucholsky texts you think should be done?

Aion gold and http://www.aionkinahkaufen.com/

11:45 PM  
Blogger Jeanine said...

I could help with translation as well. I lived in the USA for the first 24 years of my life and moved to Germany in 1993, where I met my wife (same-sex marriage). So I am very familiar with German, especially since my spouse is a writer herself.

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Westminster Vacuum Repair said...

Great blog I ennjoyed reading

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home